One of my class assignments is to read/listen to materials on leadership prior to class. Here are some thoughts I have had recently on leadership.
1. Leaders must love people and be a servant. It is hard to lead people if you don’t sincerely care for them and are willing to do the less glamorous things that are required to help them. One of my readings related to this is “The Conductor as Servant Leader by Ramona Mis which speaks to this as well as a number of other topics related to servant oriented musical leadership.
2. Challenges and criticism are unavoidable; how we respond is up to us. I recently viewed Steve Job’s response to some unconstructive criticism and it shocked me how calm and effectively he responded. I mentioned this article a few days ago in another blog post, but feel it is worthy of another mention! https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/20-years-ago-steve-jobs-demonstrated-the-perfect-w.html
3. Thinking is essential to personal growth. It is vital to carve out time in your busy schedule to think. Then it is vital that those thoughts are written down and considered even more deeply. I am currently on the second chapter of “How Successful People Think” by John C. Maxwell which was recommended to me by one of my most brilliant friends. I highly recommend it!
4. Knowing your own limitations and providing yourself the supports you need in those areas strengthen you.
5. Communication and transparency build trust. Trust gives credibility to your leadership.
Stay tuned for more as I update this post!!